List activity / archive message ID
Brian Candler
2005-03-24 12:09:10 UTC
Hello,

Anyone here? According to the archive at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.im2000/
there have been only three postings since June last year.

There's the ezmlm archive, but I don't have the high watermark; sending to
im2000-***@list.cr.yp.to just tells me (unhelpfully) that there's no
such message. And no, I don't see why I should have to do a binary chop :-)

Thanks,

Brian.
Harald Hanche-Olsen
2005-03-24 12:30:37 UTC
+ Brian Candler <***@pobox.com>:

| Anyone here?

Yup.

| According to the archive at
| http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.im2000/
| there have been only three postings since June last year.

Yes, three this February. There was a slight flurry last June, and
then silence.

| There's the ezmlm archive, but I don't have the high watermark; sending to
| im2000-***@list.cr.yp.to just tells me (unhelpfully) that there's no
| such message. And no, I don't see why I should have to do a binary chop :-)

No need to. Just check the envelope sender on your own message to the
list. It should show as follows:

where ... is your subscription address. So the high water mark is
1608. Or 1609 in just a few moments.

- Harald
Marc W. Mengel

The horse carcass is covered with sufficient boot-prints...
Brian Candler
2005-03-24 16:12:26 UTC
Post by Marc W. Mengel
Post by Brian Candler
Hello,
Anyone here? According to the archive at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.im2000/
there have been only three postings since June last year.
I'm not surprized.
The horse carcass is covered with sufficient boot-prints...
Maybe I shall take my whip elsewhere then...

Thanks all.

Brian.
Shae Matijs Erisson
2005-03-24 15:56:32 UTC
Does anyone have a partial or full implementation of im2000?

I came up with a similar idea independently, after which someone told me about
this list. I'd like to see some code, and discuss the details.

The only obstacle I see is that the existing email system is so heavily
entrenched it would probably be easier to do something totally different like
IPv6 multicast notifications.
--
Programming is the Magic Executable Fridge Poetry, | www.ScannedInAvian.com
It is machines made of thought, fueled by ideas. | -- Shae Matijs Erisson
John Pritchard
2005-03-24 17:52:17 UTC
Any interest in looking into/ discussing/ an XML solution inline with
Liberty (hard definition of identity)? While I'm as much an anti-fan of
XML as anyone out there, life is a river. [i.e. REST, not SOAPfuscation].

Daniel has established good protocols. The reader ends up having a lot
in common (almost identical to) an RSS (et al) reader.

Perhaps this list has a good group for producing a well defined problem
+ solution and a tight, clear spec.

I agree that a clean break is most interesting. Postel's world was
utterly foreign to this one. Although SMTP notifications are vaguely
plausible.

I disagree that multicast is interesting. While theory is perfect,
practice is absurd relative to a spec. Perhaps in software it's
plausible, but an alternative email system has to win as a brilliantly
simple spec, hence the strength of Postel's products. It should be
readily implemented on a cell phone, for example.

cheers